Friday, October 10, 2008

Man Nurse

My great-grandma, bless her heart, always refers to me as a "Man Nurse".

"Are you still going to be a Man Nurse" she would always ask me while I was in school.

"Yeah Grandma, its the only kind they'll let me be"

She would reply with an approval because all those women need someone to help lift, people are just too darn heavy now.

I can't say my main motivation to take up nursing was to help other women lift stuff. What is it about nursing anyway- this reverse sexism thing?

There are male nurses but never female nurses.

I thought maybe the world was getting over that until I started working in the PACU. The first time I was in the locker room, I headed over to a rack of scrubs and found this:


Man Nurse = Man Pants. Now where is that Man Top.....

1 comment:

Xavier said...

Yep. Male nurses enjoy some of the last politically correct discrimination. I never heard of a black nurse, a jew nurse, or even a lesbian nurse. Male nurse is OK though.

In a fit of pique I blogged on this phenomena here. Nobody understood.