Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Pocket Problem

When I bought my Smith and Wesson 642, I bought it with the intention of frequently pocket carrying. I thought I would pocket carry....all the time. The salesman at the gun store promised it would disappear into a pocket, and indeed, he produced a j-frame revolver from the front pocket of his jeans. I had no idea it was there. Perfect.

I, however, am struggling with pocket carry. It seems I have no pair of pants which accommodate the revolver in such a way that it "disappears" into a pocket. While I don't wear the biggest, baggiest jeans on the planet, I certainly don't wear skin tight cowboy jeans.

In an Uncle Mikes pocket holster, it seems to still print a fairly obvious pattern through a pair of jeans. I can always identify a cylinder and a grip.

However, most people aren't specifically looking for a gun, and may not see those things. However, it still seems to leaves a fairly large.....uh......bulge.....for lack of better term, in my pants pocket.

So, while I may be able to carry and not obviously have a gun, I still look like I stuffed a Cornish game hen down my pants. That is a far cry from the revolver that disappears into my pocket.

I do have several coats that work just fine, though my favorite coat does not have deep enough pockets, and the grip sticks out. To carry with that jacket, I must keep my hand in the pocket at all times.

So, suspicious looking hand in pocket at all times, or small fowl in the pants.....this seems to be my dilemma. It was hard to capture in pictures, but trust me, its quite obvious.


Hence, i carry IWB most of time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Relax. You're making the classic new guy mistake of thinking that anybody is looking at you.
I've been carrying concealed as a cop for 34 years, I can guarantee that no one will notice your "lump". You have to understand that people are on their own little "mission" and will have no interest in looking at you. The only reason anyone will look at you is if you are self conscious and keep adjusting or touching the gun. Forget it's there and no one will notice.

"Tarak" said...

Anon-

That's a good piece of thought. I think my issue has been while I expected a lump in my pocket, it has been quite a bit larger than I envisioned.

Thanks for the thought, and thanks for reading. Stop by again sometime.

Tarak