Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Life Skills


Recently, a new Nursing Assistant joined our department. She is in the Air Force reserve. She is a jet mechanic.

You know, sometimes you hear people trying to sell the military: "Join the military, and you'll learn all kinds of useful skills for life."

So I asked her, "how's that jet mechanic thing helping you out?" It of course is not. I asked if any skills transfered like fixing a lawn mower or someting. Nope.

I can just see it now....

"Honey, I asked you to fix the vacuum"

"I did"

"It sucked the carpet off the floor..."

"....So?"

"It shot it out the back and fired off a missle!"

"Yeah, we've been having trouble with that....."

2 comments:

Xavier said...

Actually, I prioritize and move cases just like I used to prioritize and make sorties happen on the flight deck. I worked on aircraft too, as an AMS and troubleshooter on the cats.

There isn't that much difference..... Inventory tools before closing panels on an aircraft. Count instruments prior to closing after surgery. That is only one corelation.

Putting up with prima donna surgeons is a snap after dealing with jet jockeys. I laugh at irrate surgeons because I dealt with telling Commanders they were not going flying today in the bird they wanted. Nursing documentation is nothing compared to aircraft documentation. If anything, nursing is a big step down in stress and intensity, no matter where you work in nursing. If you screw up working on a patient, at worst you kill one person. Screw up on aircraft, and you are lucky if you don't kill many.

Many of the skills I learned in the military apply directly to how I run my unit now. The learning of useful skills and the ability to transfer them to another line of work is within the person, not the skill itself.

"Tarak" said...

Yeah, it was meant more as a joke. I envy those with military experience.