Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Stance on Gun Ownership and Use

Recently I've been taking a lot of heat for my gun hobby and "obsession". Now its true, I've ruminated a bit on guns lately. I'm a passionate person, when I find something that captivates me, I do tend to focus on it a bit. Truth be told, my recent surge of interest is the result primarily of the financial freedom required to purchase and shoot said weapons. AKA, I graduated from college two years ago and actually have money now.


Indeed, I am not obsessed, but have been under a bit of scrutiny. You see, in South Dakota, everyone has a closet full of shotguns and rifles. Hunting anything that moves in encouraged and understood, but bring up a handgun and its as if you confessed to terrorism. In fact, a few years ago, while eating lunch with my coworkers on an ICU nightshift, I caught quite a bit of grief.

"Handgun? Why do you need a handgun? You going to rob a bank?"


No. I'm not going to rob a bank. But I do support gun ownership, use, and carry. And so, I present My Stand on Gun Ownership and Use. Warning, this may be long!


1. I believe in gun ownership. I believe that adults who have not been convicted of felonies or have committed acts to otherwise prove irresponsibility or major mental illness have the right to own firearms. This country exists because normal people were armed, and were therefore able to fight Britain and establish the USA. I do not live in paranoid fear of our government or fear of hostile takeover by another country.

However, I do believe a responsibly armed citizenry is healthy, and is the proud tradition of our country. Indeed, our country owes its existence to the ownership of firearms. In fact, the first shots fired in the Revolutionary War were resultant from the attempt to disarm a local militia so that they could not fight for their freedom.



2. I believe in the use of firearms for personal protection. I believe that if the life of yourself or another is clearly threatened and endangered, the use of firearms is just and acceptable. I do believe there is a difference between murder and self defense. Thus, I believe in the right to carry; whether open or concealed. I do not have a Napoleon or Rambo complex. I do not wish to see people killed for the mere act of sadistic violence or the feeling of power.

I believe this use must be reserved strictly for the defense of life and limb. I do not support shooting a thief who is running away from the house, drawing a firearm when one feels a bit "scared", or going into obviously dangerous situations if they can be avoided. I believe in the avoidance of confrontation if possible. Owning a firearm does not take the place of common sense, awareness, and wisdom.

I do believe in situations such as Virginia Tech and the Omaha, NE mall shooting that citizens who were armed, trained, and competent with firearms could have prevented or limited deaths and injuries.


The world seems to be in a state of declining morality, with an increasing disregard for life. I do not live in paranoia; however with increasing crime, an uncertain economy, and more awesome acts of violence, I believe it is prudent to be armed and competent with a gun. We do not know what tomorrow holds.


Again a gun is never, ever, ever, ever to be used or even drawn from its holster unless there is a clear and obvious threat to life. Period. No one should know you have a gun unless they are trying to take your life.
3. I believe in responsible firearm ownership. Owning a gun does not make one armed. It is my opinion that most "accidental" gun deaths do not occur because of the innately dangerous characteristics of guns. I believe it is due to ignorance and irresponsibility. See The Four Gun Laws.

If one makes the choice to own a gun, I believe it is their responsibility to become competent with it. Shooting instruction, practice, and knowledge of the gun is a must. This is doubled for one that wishes to carry in public.


Wise decisions must be made. A loaded handgun in the nightstand may be appropriate for me, but I have no children in the house. Holsters must be used. We must consider not only ourselves, but those around us. Guns must be stored responsibly, used responsibly, and never treated as toys. Note that all my comments regarding ownership and use come with responsibility, training, and competence. It is not acceptable, in my opinion, to own a gun that will ever be used for defense, hunting, or sport, and have never trained with it.

Do not carry without a permit! Follow local laws! Know what is appropriate and legal!


4. I do not believe gun ownership increases gun crime. I believe that the majority of gun violence is committed by criminals who operate outside the law. Increasing gun control, making it difficult for law-abiding adults to own guns, and driving up the price of ammunition will not, in my opinion, decrease gun crime. Only rarely do we see an average, decent person who snaps and goes on a shooting rampage. This is an unfortunately rarity which receives heavy press. Take away guns, other means will take their place. Bombs, etc. Crystal Meth is reeking havoc on the nation but we have not made the components illegal. Nor have we outlawed cars. Alcohol Prohibition is what birthed organized crime and terrible violence.


In fact, I believe that disarming the general public will only provide an easily preyed on populous for criminals. They will have guns. We will not.




5. I believe in gun ownership for sport. When respected and used correctly, guns make up for an enjoyable sport that many engage in. Clay pigeon shooting, competition handgun shooting, rifle ranges, and hunting are enjoyed by many around the nation.



6. I believe in gun ownership for utility. At the end of the day, guns can bring home the bacon. Hunting is sport, but can also provide food. If the world around us crashed (again, I am not paranoid), firearms can be used to secure sustenance.

7. On Religion. I do not believe that any of the above mentioned clashes with my christian belief system. If the taking of a life is based soley on self defense, I do not see interference with biblical commands. There may be an argument waged on the grounds of "turn the other cheek". However, this would likely gather varying opinions.

No comments: